Saturday, December 15, 2012

Elementary School Shooting


I rushed to the elementary school to find my son. I was worried sick since the moment I got the phone call. I was already crying because I had a horrible feeling in my gut. I got to the school and found my little baby boy weeping next to a police car. His teacher, who was also in tears, handed him over to me with a weak smile. I hugged him and showered him with kisses. I picked him up and got into my car. On our way home, I had a change of mind and went to his favourite Ice Cream shop. I bought him the biggest one that he had always cried for. I had never bought it for him before since I knew he wouldn't be able to finish it and he would have to throw it away. As I had guessed, he ate just a part of it and we threw away the rest. Then, I took him to the beach and let him go a little closer to the water as he wished. Then I took him home and watched cartoon with him all day long. For dinner, we had nuggets and fries. Before he went to bed, I gave him his Christmas presents- all of it- even though there were 10 more days left for Christmas. I let him sleep late that night.


Earlier that day, as I drove to the elementary school, all I could think about was how I wouldn't be able to watch the excitement in my son’s face as he opened his Christmas presents. Maybe I had half a decade left to live with him. But maybe all I had was today.

For you never know… some maniac may turn up at your son’s elementary school and shoot him.

No comments:

Post a Comment